Welcome to BOOK CLUB, which I run with co-conspirator Nicole from Linus’s Blanket. Today we will be chatting about With My Body by Nikki Gemmell which was released today, June 19th by Harper Perennial. For those of you reading this post, please remember that this discussion is likely to contain spoilers.
Here is the publisher’s synopsis
A wife, a mother of three, she has everything a woman should want—and yet she has gone numb inside. Locked in a never-ending cycle of chores, errands, and mealtimes, she cannot find a way to live her life with the honesty and passion that once drove her. Even her husband, whom she loves, has never truly touched the core of her being. Only one person has ever come close. In desperation, she returns to the memory of an old love affair—a transformative relationship with consequences she has never fully resolved. Revisiting her past, she will begin an exhilarating journey into her sexuality while finally confronting the hidden truths of her heart.
Before we get started, here are some of the reviews of readers who will be participating today:
If you plan on participating in today’s BOOK CLUB, please consider subscribing to comments at the bottom of the page (please use the TOP subscription option). I will be updating this post with new questions and ideas over the course of the day.
Here we go…
- First off, what were your general impressions of the book?
- Is this a book you would have read had you not been reading it for a book club?
- What did you think of the use of the 2nd person narrative? Why do you think Gemmell used it here, was it effective for you?
- What were your thoughts about the protagonist’s great, defining love affair?
- Any other thoughts or questions?