Technically, my werewolves are shape-shifters (at least that’s what they tell me), not true weres. Because when it’s winter, they are wolves; pure wolves, no touch of humanity. And when it’s summer, they’re humans; no touch of slobbering. I really didn’t want to write horror. I wanted to write about losing your identity, and I didn’t want to bury the pain of that behind a whole bunch of half-human half-wolf antics. It’s difficult to maintain a bittersweet mood when your protagonist’s lover is mauling a check-out clerk. But while being a wolf? Natural wolves are enigmatic and beautiful and sometimes cruel. They don’t need more spectacular special effects. The loss of conscious human thought is enough.
That’s not to say I didn’t read up on werewolves — but apart from laughing over some more hilarious bits of German legends, I found much more to love in wolf documentaries. No danger of me revamping Teen Wolf any time soon.
- Be sure to follow Maggie @mstiefvater and Kristi @thestorysiren before the party!
- Anyone who tweets during the party using #Linger is entered to win a limited edition Linger tank top!
- Watch for questions from @thestorysiren and win awesome prizes including an iPod Touch, Maggie’s artwork and gift cards!
- To join the party, you can use our official party tweetgrid or just search #Linger on Twitter.
- Ask Maggie questions or chat with other partygoers—just use the tag #Linger in all of your party tweets! (This is added automatically in TweetGrid.)
- Please don’t post any spoilers and don’t forget to pay attention to the time zones, the party starts at 8:30pm EST.